Wednesday was my day for “angel” duty! As usual, I had a great time, but by the end of the day I was beat. I don’t know what it is about that place; I think it has to be the concrete! Setup this year was a little different – I think it had to do with the work crews. It didn’t seem like we got as many quilts hung. I got to see some IQA friends from years past and that is always a great thing.
Normally, there is someone taking the quilts out of the boxes as we work on one category at a time. We worked on TA and TP and then AS – that translates to traditional applique, traditional pieced and art small. Anyway, once the quilt makes the scene, it has been numbered and then that number is on a map. Ever so carefully someone reads the map and directs us where they go, mind you there are some 350 quilts to be hung. There are normally sheets on the floor and then the quilt is laid out on the floor where it goes. Then someone is making sure the correct rod is used (some get regular old white curtain rods and some get the sturdy slider poles) and each one has to be set for the length of each quilt. Then a 2-member hanging/ladder team comes around and hangs them. For some reason this year they thought it best to go directly from the box to pole, then to its place on the wall. Not that it is bad, it just seemed to take longer and didn’t seem like a good use of time as we were standing around more than usual.
After lunch, I got pulled to work on Art Small, Winnie and myself did the entire category (around 18-20 quilts). This quilt show is at its finest, we tweak the tweaks, hide the poles or rods, fluff the pleats to make sure they are evenly distributed, make sure each quilt is level and adjust high or low and make sure everything looks perfect and then I think they have another crew to do last spot check once all the quilts are hung.
I do love working behind the scenes. I didn’t get to take as many pictures this year but the ones that I did take are pretty interesting.
Thursday after work I came home and went to work on my Primitive Gathering, Sunflower Gathering border, their 2014 project. I’ve been working on little pieces of it for a while but now all the pieces are cut and the vines are in place. I needed to do the vine done first since all the flowers and leaves are stacked on top of them. I got the bright idea to sew the vine down first and then I would be ready for the other pieces, but I ran out of time and decided that I had better get all the other pieces on as well so I could have the top mobile for our drive on Saturday to Tyler. I did get 3 of the 9 vines cross-stitched down before adding the flowers. Yeah!
I’m so excited about how this quilt is coming together, now I have some stitching to do!
Friday was an exciting day at Market and I got to see some old friends and make some new ones. I love to meet new people and enjoy hearing all the stories of how they got to where they are.
Saturday was a family day; David and I drove to Tyler for a surprise birthday party for Ms. Hailey. Well he drove and I stitched! Wahoo! The only thing that didn’t cooperate was the terrible rainy weather. We drove to Kyle’s house and we loved hearing Ms. Adley announce our arrival. Good times today!
I am truly blessed; I hope you are blessed by your daily threads. Love and hugs,