Dragging my Feet!

When I was a little girl I got in trouble for not picking up my feet. It is kind of a strange thing, the only time I hear it is when “other” people do it. 😉 I’m sure you have heard of the “stone” story. You know, when you live in a glass house don’t throw the first stone! Although, I still find it a little comforting to drag my feet.

Case in point – my Judy Niemeyer, Fire Island Hosta. I’ve been holding out finishing it. I’ve come to the part of the quilt where I have to get out of my box (aka comfort zone). This morning I was trying to think about what I wanted to finish up next. I really want to drag out my Jo Morton, square-in-a-square blocks “S’mores”, but since I already have a Niemeyer pile I had better focus on trying to finish it!

After all, I don’t have anyone to distract me and the best part of all, I have all the sections completed! Ha! I just need to figure out the piping that will go around the leaves.

all my sections are ready to go

all my sections are ready to go

one thing I had trouble with was all their pictures were upside down.

one thing I had trouble with was all their pictures were upside down.

It is layout time; I went to the den and laid out my pieces to get re-inspired to finish this puppy. Wow, this is the first time I’ve had it all in front of me. You can tell I’ve had it bagged up for a while! I didn’t want to press since most of these are biased edges. If I say so myself, it is pretty nice!

all laid out

all laid out

First to tackle cutting bias strips, I called Denise for those instructions. Then to figure out the piping, so I turned to the pro: Susan Cleveland. I pulled out my books and even watched some of a YouTube video and still I was procrastinating on how to get started. One would think I was kicking and screaming, I guess I was internally.

It was time to set a goal; my goal was to get all the piping done. You see I have no instructions on how to attach the binding in this pattern. It was just what Tennessee Quilts did in their kit and it did offer a lot of pop – so therein another goal. Ok, I CAN figure this out!

I’m sewing along and the rainstorms come again for the second day in a row, I’m pressing on and the lights went out. Lucky for me I was able to keep on sewing. When I bought my new machine, It’s A Stitch recommended that we also buy a battery backup so that when we were stitching out a big project that we would not loose anything and we could keep on stitching. Wahoo, I didn’t have to re-set my machine or move the needle over to where it was. Anyway, this is a great idea for anyone’s machine!

I got all my piping done, so they are all ready, except I need to trim them up!

one piping pinned

one piping pinned

I decided to attach the piping to one leaf. If I had to rip it out – so be it, but luckily it worked out and it was just what I needed. I moved the needle over to make sure when I attached the piping it would not show and then later when I attached the next section the thread would not show in the seam allowance.

one piping attached

one piping attached

Success! One down and 7 more to go! Wahoo! See what a difference the piping makes!

now to add it to the section

now to add it to the section

see what a difference it makes!

see what a difference it makes!

I am truly blessed; I hope you are blessed by your daily threads. Love and hugs,
Ronda

About ronda926

I enjoy piecing quilts and getting to know people, as well as sharing the information I have on sewing. I love the sense of accomplishment once I'm finished.
This entry was posted in Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s